I am a huge proponent of volunteering for personal, "selfish" reasons!
Those who volunteer all have their own "Why"; here are some scientifically-backed reasons that prove that volunteering is good for everyone:
IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH AND EXTEND YOUR LIFE
• Volunteering prevents loneliness because it increases socialization, exposes people to new communities, and forms powerful social ties and attachments to others
• Volunteering promotes longevity and can moderate symptoms of chronic pain and illness
• Volunteering improves brain elasticity and is shown to lower rates of Alzheimer's and Dementia
• Volunteers tend to take better care of themselves, and be more physically active which reduces heart disease and helps shed unwanted pounds
IMPROVE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
• Learn new skills that can improve a resume
• Build confidence and have opportunities to demonstrate skills to others
• Create a sense of personal and professional purpose
• Forge new relationships that may lead to future work opportunities
• New social connections promote well-being and lessen anger, depression, anxiety, PTSD, and OCD
• Helping others shines a spotlight on different realities and circumstances, and brings a new perspective to our own problems
• Volunteering improves self esteem and reduces stress
• Volunteering can be tons of FUN!
IMPROVE YOUR COMMUNITY
• Building and supporting the safety net around vulnerable people directly impacts communal future
• Less trauma = more productive lives
• Reduced time spent on overcoming preventable obstacles, gives individuals more opportunities to focus their energy on improvement of self, families, and others; and eventually to donate their own time
• Cleaner parks, roads, and popular attractions encourages tourism and community pride
WHAT DO YOU RECEIVE IN RETURN WHEN YOU DONATE YOUR TIME TO MFCDA?
• The opportunity to create the foundation for a strong, lifelong bond with your town and peers
• Monthly opportunities for fun and fellowship with the MFCDA family
• An opportunity to share your ideas and experiences with other like-minded adults
• The satisfaction and pride of being a member of a regional organization which shares your interest in and concern for your community
There are many service organizations in town which impact different areas of the community and even the world- the Kiwanis Club, Rotary Club, Danner Farms, Garden Club, various political organizations, and much more!